Share this with

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING held on Thursday, 9th January, 2020

Present: Mrs B Gillen (Chair), Ms M Thornburrow (Secretary), Ms L Chambers (Treasurer)

Mrs M Payne, Mrs E Dawes, Mr D Pedley and Mr P Phizacklea.

1991 Apologies: Mrs J Garner, Mrs J Hewitt.

1992 Minutes of Previous Meeting: The Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 28th November, 2019 were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chair.

1994 Secretary’s Report: ACTION

Items raised in Suggestions Box: No postings.

Proposed Constitution Changes: The proposed changes will be part of the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Agenda, to be posted on the Club’s notice board 14 days prior to the Meeting of Tuesday, 18th February, 7 pm. Members present at the AGM will be able to vote on the changes.

Bowling Hut Keyholders: It was agreed that a register will be kept of keyholders to the Bowling Hut and to the Bowls Shop.

Website: The Committee agreed that the website could be used more effectively as a channel of communication, and that it should be updated monthly. Information regarding social events, bowling and general topics should be relayed to Mr David Harwood (07900695525) and Mr Roy Swinglehurst (01229 837344) by individuals rather than via the Secretary.

First Aid Box: Ms M Thornburrow agreed to be the named person to monitor the contents and the Accident Book. Both the box and the book will continue to be easily accessible in the kitchen.

Signing-On: It was agreed that £1 would be added to signing-on fees, to be used for Club incidentals.

Food Bank: Collections will recommence in the Spring.

Cleaning Arrangements: The Committee agreed to themselves provide cover for when Mrs Donna Erdis is on holiday.

Tidying-up: All surplus chairs, tables and equipment must be returned to storage by whoever has used them.

1994 Treasurer’s Report:

1. Ms Lynne Chambers said that there have been some poor weeks with nothing to bank, but the situation should improve next month with signing-on.

2. Alarm system for bowling shop door – due to the expensive quote received for this, the Treasurer said that she would look into an alternative, cheaper solution. She said that there should be the minimal number of people holding keys to the bowling shop.

3. Savings – The Treasurer said she had not been able to save and had had to transfer from the Savings to Current Account to cover expenditure and exceptional expenses of the alarm system, bowls shop stock, electrical systems 5 yearly check, and Rigby Taylor expenses. Ms Chambers said that she would do an analysis of the spend on the green during 2019.

4. New Year’s Eve event – Although the expenses had been more than in 2018, income over expenditure was broadly in line.

5. Irrigation System – because of Items 1 and 3 the project cannot go ahead before the bowling season, but by the end of the season, it is likely that the work can go ahead.

6. Water Plus – After several months of correspondence, phone calls, etc. it has finally been agreed by Water Plus and United Utilities that the Club should be awarded concessionary relief, the consequence of which is that we are now around £2,000 in credit and a cheque refund has been requested.

7. Annual General Meeting – The accounts will be ready to present at the AGM and the Treasurer said that she would be going through the accounts with Mr Roy Swinglehurst before they are independently assessed.

1995 Maintenance Issues: None to report.

1996 Bowling Secretary’s Report:

The Society Cup Competition will be held on Sunday, 3rd May and the Jim Hewitt Competition will be on Sunday, 6th September.

Ms L Chambers said that she is now registered as the Club’s Safeguarding Officer with

British Crown Green Bowling Association.

1997 Advertising Boards:

The Secretary said that payments for current boards will be adjusted to take into account the period when boards have been removed whilst the wall has been cleaned and repainted. Mrs M Payne has offered to take over the administration of the boards.

1998 Bar Manager’s Report: Nil to report.

1999 Fundraising and Social Activities Report:

Dates for Coffee Mornings in 2020 are as follows: 30th May and 5th December.

2000 Fire, Health and Safety:

The Secretary has asked Barrow Fire Department for the format for updating the Club’s Fire Policy, as had been discussed at the meeting with Fire Officers in October, 2019.

The Club is looking to appoint a Health & Safety Officer, and any Member interested in taking on the role should please contact the Secretary on 07857 897763. In the meantime any potential hazards will be identified.

2001 ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

Committee Members due for re-election at the AGM will be Kay Baker, Dave Pedley and Peter Phizacklea Jnr.

Juniors Membership Subscription: It was agreed that the Annual Membership cost of £5 would extend up to age 18 years.

Exchange of Members’ Christmas cards will be discouraged at the Club; a card from the Chair to all Members can be displayed.

May Bank Holiday will be on 8th and not the 4th, due to the WW2 D-Day Anniversary.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday, 20th February, 2020, at 6pm.

The Meeting finished at 7.15pm.